As 2019 comes to a close, we’ll be taking a look at some of the Basin’s top sports stories of the year.
We begin our countdown with the Permian boy’s basketball, which enjoyed another successful season.
The Panthers finished the year 27-8 (8-2), winning a district title in the process.
Once in the postseason, MOJO secured wins over El Paso Socorro, Arlington Martin, and El Paso Americas to advance to the Sweet 16.
Permian faced Denton Guyer in the Region I Semifinal. The Wildcats came into the match-up ranked as the #2 team in the state for Class 6A.
The Panthers, though, proved to be a tough test for them. With 5:30 left in the contest, the two sides were tied at 33. Guyer ultimately made just enough plays down the stretch to advance with a 42-36 win.
Watch the video above for more!
Permian Basin’s Biggest Sports Stories of 2019
10. Permian basketball advances to Sweet 16
- Andrews girl’s golf wins ninth-consecutive State Championship
- Wink volleyball advances to State Semifinals
- Rankin football advances to State Semifinals
- Midland Lee football outlasts Arlington Lamar in Area Round
- Midland High alum McLane Mannix plays in first season at Texas Tech