As part of an effort to contain the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, a growing number of sports competitions around the county have been disrupted.
Here is a list of schedule adjustments specifically affecting teams/events in the Permian Basin. This story will be updated as further cancellations are announced.
- UPDATE: UIL has suspended all competition and practices through March 29th, effective March 16th.
- UPDATE: TAPPS has suspended all competition through April 12th.
- Midland ISD will be suspending all athletic events until further notice.
- Ector County ISD will also be suspending all athletic events until further notice. Teams competing in out-of-town tournaments this weekend will be allowed to complete those commitments.
- The UIL State Basketball Tournament has been suspended.
- All NCAA winter/spring postseason championships have been canceled for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year.
- UPDATE: The Lone Star Conference (UTPB) has canceled all athletic competition for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year.
- The UTPB spring football scrimmage in Big Spring, scheduled for March 20th, has been canceled.
- UPDATE: The American Southwest Conference (Sul Ross State) has canceled all athletic competition for the remainder of the 2019-20 academic year.
- UPDATE: The NJCAA has canceled all competition through the end of the 2019-20 academic year. That includes the Division I Women’s Basketball Championship, where Odessa College and New Mexico Junior College were set to compete.
- The start of the season for the Midland RockHounds (Minor League Baseball) will be delayed. Earlier Thursday, Major League Baseball announced its Opening Day would be postponed for at least two weeks.
- The West Texas Warbirds (Champions Indoor Football) will have the start of its season postponed until further notice.
- UPDATE: The remainder of the Odessa Jackalopes season (North American Hockey League) has been canceled.