This weekend, the top high school swimmers and divers from Texas will convene in Austin for the UIL State Swimming and Diving Championships.
About a couple dozens athletes will be representing the Permian Basin once the preliminaries begin on Friday. The finals are scheduled for Saturday.
In 6A, Midland High will send two individual qualifiers. Sophomore diver Nicholas Stone is making his second appearance at the State Meet. After a 7th place last year, Stone says his goal is to finish in the top three.
Midland High sophomore P.J. Day will also compete as a swimmer. She will participate in the girl’s 100-yard breaststroke; at last year’s State Meet, she finished that event in 9th place as a freshman.
Day will be joined by three of her teammates (Addy Foreman, Meisi Homes, and Olivia Haskell) on Midland High’s 200-yard medley relay. The Bulldogs also qualified for last year’s State Meet for that relay race.
Although Greenwood does not formally sponsor a swim/diving team, the Rangers will be represented by diver Grace Austin. The sophomore enters the State Meet with third-highest qualifying score for her classification. As a freshman, Austin took home a bronze medal with a third-place finish.
Here is a complete list of the local swimmers/divers/relay teams competing at this weekend’s State Championships:
- Midland High sophomore Nicholas Stone (boy’s one-meter diving)
- Midland High sophomore P.J Day (girl’s 100-yard breaststroke)
- Midland High: girl’s 200-yard medley relay
- Andrews sophomore Amelia Liming (girl’s 100-yard backstroke)
- Andrews senior Avery Joiner (girl’s 50-yard freestyle)
- Andrews freshman Rebecca Robertson (girl’s 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard freestyle)
- Andrews: boy’s 200-yard freestyle relay
- Andrews: girl’s 200-yard freestyle relay
- Andrews: girl’s 400-yard freestyle relay
- Greenwood sophomore Grace Austin (girl’s one-meter diving)
- Monahans: boy’s 200-yard medley relay
- Pecos senior Zachariah Hung (boy’s 100-yard butterfly)