“We just thank the Lord for being with our officers tonight”


Ector County Sheriff Mike Griffis says he is thankful his deputies are going to recover following a shooting that took place on Monday night. 

Griffis said it all began around 9:30 p.m. Monday night as officers were serving a search warrant in the 7300 block of Kentucky Avenue in reference to a narcotics investigation. 

As deputies entered the home, the suspects, according to Sheriff Griffis, opened fire striking three of the deputies. 

Deputies then returned fire, reports indicate. 

Law enforcement from several agencies; the Odessa Police Department, DPS, ECISD Police, UTPB Police and more, swarmed the scene creating a red a blue hue in the foggy night in Ector County. 

It was a scenario Sheriff Griffis says doesn’t happen often, but when it does deputies are prepared. 

“Quite intense I’m sure,” Griffis said. “We run many many search warrants and there is not many times when we make entry and someone starts firing upon us. We take that pretty serious.”

The sheriff says one of the suspects inside of the location was found dead and another was taken into custody. 

Two were shot in the leg and the third sustained an injury to the lips in the shooting, according to the sheriff. 

All three of the deputies were transported to Medical Center Hospital for treatment and are currently listed in fair condition, officials with the Ector County Hospital District Police said. 

“They may have to spend a day or two in the hospital but they are going to be fine,” Griffis said at the scene. “The Good Lord was looking after them tonight.”

Meanwhile, the search continued at the scene, as authorities initially believed there may have been a third suspect. 

However, the sheriff says the search has been suspended and they do not believe the public is in any danger. 

The sheriff also priased the other agencies that responeded to the scene and assited in the investigation. 

“I feel like right now, in this day and time, we have the best cooperation among all the law enforcement agencies here than we have ever had,” the sheriff said. “I can’t thank all these agencies enough for helping us out.”

The Texas Rangers have since been called to investigate.

Still, many questions linger in regards to the investigation as investigators question the suspect in custody. 

As of midnight it is unclear what the charges would be and Griffis says investigators are still working to determine the role each suspect played in the shooting. 

The identities of the deputies and the suspects have not been released as the investigation is ongoing. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss