MIDLAND, Texas (Nexstar) – Fire crews in Midland had their hands full with a fully-involved house fire.
The flames burnt a double-wide mobile home on W. County Road 55 Thursday morning. Fire officials said 2 people made it out safely.
But the Midland County Fire Marshall’s Office is still investigating what sparked the fire. Investigator Rusty Winn said there are several different possibilities.
“Either a cigarette wasn’t put out all the way before they left or possible electrical. We won’t know a little bit more until they finish overhauling,” Winn said.
The hotter, windier weather is also a big risk. Not only can it fuel a fire, but it can make putting out one that much harder.
“It’s a major role. As dry as it’s been right now, and due to still being in a burn ban and an extended drought, it makes it difficult being out here where there’s really nothing to block it. The wind picks it up and spreads it a lot quicker,” Winn said.
Garner Gonzales owns Gonzales Contractors in Midland. He deals with a number of houses in the area and says there are steps a homeowner can take to avoid a fire.
“Definitely call your bonded and insured contractors, get your HVAC system and units inspected,” Gonzales said.
Gonzales also says there are some things that homeowners can easily overlook that can be a major red flag before a fire. He recommends checking all electrical systems within a home and ensuring all circuits are working. Gonzales also warns against faulty electrical fixtures.
“A main place for a fire in a home is your kitchen. Don’t leave any cooking unattended,” Gonzales said. “Check your CO2 detectors, your smoke detectors… check your lint filters in your dryer.”
The Midland County Fire Marshall’s Office says another good tip is to make sure to let any outdoor propane heaters or heat lamps to cool down completely before storage. If incorrectly stored, the heaters can warm up other material and spark a fire.