ODESSA, Texas (Big 2/Fox 24) – Two new COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in Ector County, according to stats released Friday afternoon.
The total case count is currently 187 with an active case count of 43.
Stats also show 2813 have been tested in Ector County, with 2523 coming back negative. Additionally, 139 have recovered from the virus and 103 tests are still pending.
The update comes after ten new cases were confirmed on Thursday.
County Health Authority Dr. Timothy Benton says they have seen more cases in the past three weeks than in the three weeks prior to that.
Meanwhile, Mayor David Turner announced Thursday he had come in direct contact with someone who was COVID-19 positive. He has since gone into isolation at home. Turner says he is feeling fine and is waiting until he can be tested.
The Governor also said earlier this week that, with recent protests across the state, additional resources would be ready if cases spike in Texas.
“There could be instances in the aftermath of these protests, where we see so many people gathering together, so close together, there could be outbreaks of COVID-19 in the aftermath of that,” Gov. Abbott said, “and as a result, beginning on Monday, we will have extra supplies in regions across the state of Texas to be available to test people who may have been involved in these protests to make sure we are able to contain any spike or increase in those testing positive for COVID-19.”