ODESSA, Texas (Big 2/Fox 24) – As temperatures drop, the number of stolen vehicle reports has spiked, according to officials with the Odessa Police Department.
According to a report from the OPD Monday, more than 61 stolen vehicle reports were made in October alone. Collectively police say 431 have been reported in 2019.
Police say the suspects are driving around and targeting those who are “warming up” their vehicles. Now, the OPD is reminding residents to be cautious and use the following tips to avoid becoming a victim.
1) Avoid leaving or hiding spare keys in your vehicle.
2) It is illegal to leave your keys in the ignition with the engine running & vehicle left unattended. Doing this can result in a fine of up to $140.
3) Some insurance companies will not cover your vehicle if it is stolen as a result of this happening.
4) It is legal to leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running if you use a remote start device.
5) Report all suspicious activity, suspicious persons, and suspicious vehicles to OPD.