Roof repairs could put lives at risk of CO poisoning

Local News

MIDLAND, Texas (Big 2/ Fox 24) – Our Spring storms were bad enough that many Basin homeowners had to get new roofs, but even with those repairs your family could be in danger.

Jimmy Howard, Midland fire marshal, urges you to double check your vents after getting your roof repaired.

“One thing we want everyone to be aware of is that from time to time the work is done exterior up on the roof,” Howard says. “Sometimes the vent pipes from the appliances that terminates out in the atmosphere it can get dislodge.”

Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer.” Why? Well carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air which means it’ll disperse evenly throughout your home. Howard says there’s a way to detect it.

“Carbon monoxide detectors are very similar to your smoke detectors,” Howard says. “So place them properly three to five feet away from the appliances.”

Howard says that roofing professionals aren’t the cause for having the vents disconnected.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

BorderReport.com

More BorderReport

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss