WASHINGTON (Nexstar) – U.S. Rep. August Pfluger is announcing his support and joining other lawmakers in filing legislation to ‘restore trust’ in the American elections.
Conversations of voter fraud have circulated throughout the Presidential election and have cast a shadow over the U.S. system. Attorney General William Barr, and many others, have taken the other side of the coin claiming there was no evidence to support the notion of widespread voter fraud.
The Save Democracy Act, according to Pfluger, would help restore faith in the system by reforming or prohibiting current practices that weaken “security, oversight and administration of elections for federal office,” a release reads.
“The people of the 11th District of Texas demand secure and transparent elections. In that effort, I am proud to support the Save Democracy Act to address key failures in our electoral system including voter registration, ballot casting and ballot counting,” Pfluger said in a statement. “It is imperative that Congress moves to restore the faith in our democratic process and bring election certitude to every American.”
Some of the key points in the bill include requiring voter citizenship verifications, prohibiting the use of public ballot collection boxes in federal elections, providing proof of I.D., and would require ballot counting to continue until it is completed.
Below are the highlighted points from Pfluger’s office:
- Prohibits automatic voter registration for federal elections.
- Requires voter citizenship verification to register to vote in federal elections.
- Requires full Social Security Numbers (SSN) to register to vote in federal elections.
- Requires federal courts to notify state election officials when an individual is excused from jury duty because they are not a citizen.
Casting of Ballots:
- Prohibit states from sending out unrequested absentee ballots for federal elections.
- Bars anyone other than the voter, an election official, or the post office from submitting a ballot to a polling location during federal elections.
- Prohibits use of public ballot collection boxes in federal elections.
- Requires that absentee ballots be received by the close of election day for federal elections.
- Requires a voter to provide proof of I.D. for absentee voting and in-person voting in federal elections, creating equal treatment for all ballots.
- Requires voters to produce a matching SSN printed on their ballot in federal elections. Additionally, requires election officials to cross-check the SSN on a ballot with the voter’s registration and submit such data to Congress.
- Maintains current protections for military and overseas voters.
Tabulation of Ballots:
- Requires that at least two representatives of each Presidential campaign in a general election be permitted to observe polls and vote counting operations.
- Requires that ballot counting, once begun, continue until completed—no delays or pauses.
- Requires the audit of ballot tabulation systems within the 30-day period following a federal election.
Pfluger is a co-sponsor on the bill, along with about 29 other Republican lawmakers.