Oncor: Controlled outages remain in place, progress made

Local News

DALLAS, Texas (Nexstar) – Albeit slow, Oncor said progress has been made as demand dropped overnight allowing them to restore some previously dropped power.

Despite the good news, Oncor said controlled outages remain in place as ERCOT continues to work on stabilizing the grid.

“The second winter storm is also continuing to move through our service territory, potentially resulting in multiple inches of snow, significant ice and sleet accumulation,” a statement from Oncor reads. “While weather impacts are ongoing, personnel and out of state mutual assistance contractors were staged across the territory before the storm and are now actively engaged in restoration efforts. These personnel are well experienced in working in extreme weather conditions and will be working around the clock to assess damages, clear debris and repair damaged equipment.”

As of 10 a.m. Wednesday morning, more than 17,000 people are without power in the Odessa area and nearly 21,000 are without power in the Midland area.

Across Texas, about 2.7 million homes are still waiting on their power to be restored.

ERCOT President Bill Magness said Tuesday afternoon, their top priority was managing the load and stabilizing the grid. After the storm has passed and power was restored, reviews would be conducted.

Gov. Greg Abbott has called for an investigation into ERCOT.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss