(CNN) —

A holiday weekend means more time at the beach.
 
“We come a couple times a year,” Beach visitor Lauren Sieg said.
 
Cases of Vibrio, commonly known as flesh eating bacteria have made some beachgoers more aware.
 

“I’ve never had concerns but after reading and hearing about the guy who lost his leg I had some concerns coming down today”, said Lauren Sieg.

Vibrio is contracted through an open wound or ingested through raw seafood.

“It’s not stopping us from swimming”, said Tammy Dodd.

Doctor John Butler with Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital recommends wearing water shoes avoid the water if you have a cut if you get a cut in the water address it immediately with soap antibiotic ointment and a waterproof bandaid. Watch it carefully in the days to come for redness or swelling and see a doctor if it gets worse.

“I do think its safe to go out into the water particularly going into the gulf and enjoy yourself but I think you need some basic common sense preventative measures”, said Dr. Butler

Those with a compromised weakened immune systems are more at risk.

“I feel pretty healthy but still don’t want to take a chance.”

Cases of losing limbs or life are rare.

“What a lot of people don’t seem to understand is Vibrio is present in salt and brackish water anywhere you go. So if you’ve ever been to the gulf of Mexico or either coast of the us you’ve probably been exposed to this bacteria and you probably didn’t have negative reaction”, said Scott Packard.

The Galveston County Health District says there have only been two confirmed cases so far here this year compared to the past three years

The Texas Beach watch advisory does not include Vibrio. Swim sites are test for Enterococcus a bacteria common in flood water which spikes after a heavy rain. An advisory is issued if its above EPA levels for safe swimming but the beaches aren’t closed.

“Probably won’t fully submerge, just walk along with our feet.”

“I checked my daughter and no cuts, we are good.”

Most people are not affected by the bacteria.

So far this season two people have been infected on Galveston beaches, that’s compared to eight in 2015.