Ector County closing drive-thru testing site

News

ECTOR COUNTY, Texas (Big 2/Fox 24) – Health experts in Ector County have made the decision to close the drive-thru Coronavirus testing site.

Dr. Timothy Benton, who was integral to the drive-thru site and call center, said Thursday during the COVID-19 conference call, announced the closure but says the teams would continue to meet and do more strategic testing.

“The phones are just not ringing anymore,” Dr. Benton said Thursday, “so I think its time to change the method on that a little bit.”

The Doctor also noted they are discussing how the team will move forward but no solid plans were in place.

Ector County has seen two consecutive days with no new confirmed cases. However, there was more good news Thursday.

County Commissioner Eddy Shelton announced testing is now complete at all licensed nursing home facilities in Ector County, with just one positive case. That case was a traveling therapist and was confirmed earlier in the week.

Additionally, results from the National Guard testing also came back with no positive results, Commissioner Shelton said.

Despite the positive updates, health experts are still urging caution.

 “The good news being the numbers are again trending nice for us, the bad news being no the virus is still in the community so we can’t let our guard down,” Dr. Benton said.

In fact, Dr. Benton, as well as Dr. Rohith Saravanan say more cases could be confirmed soon from the Memorial Day weekend.

With that, both doctors are pushing the same message; wear masks in public, avoid social gatherings and to maintain social distancing.

There are 152 total COVID-19 cases reported so far in Ector County.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Texas Trib map

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss