ECTOR COUNTY, Texas (Nexstar)- Ector County ISD trustees met Tuesday to discuss the budget for the upcoming school year.
The school board plans to officially adopt the budget at next week’s meeting. They will also schedule a public hearing at that time.
Trustees are anticipating the overall tax rate will stay the same at $1.17792 per $100 valuation.
Every school board in Texas is legally required to approve three separate budgets. The ECISD budget breakdown is as follows: the General Fund budget which is projected to be $314,485,610; the Debt Service budget projected at $19,250,666; and the School Nutrition budget at $18,705,494.
The highlights of the General Fund budget come from the 2021-22 Compensation Plan which Trustees approved last month:
- Starting teacher salary raised to $57,000.
- Everyone on teacher pay scale will get $1,800 with additional adjustments at various steps.
- 4% general pay increase at midpoint for hourly employees, increased hourly minimum to $12.00.
- 3% general pay increase at midpoint for non-hourly employees.
- A $750 Invest in Talent Stipend for all those employed on the first day of instruction in August.
Trustees also received a report on end-of-year MAP Growth. MAP stands for Measure of Academic Progress.
These assessments, which are given three times per year, measure what students know and what they’re ready to learn next. MAP Growth measures whether a student performs on, above, or below grade level over time.
This year ECISD uses MAP assessments in Kindergarten through 8th grade Reading and Math, English I and II Language, and Algebra I. More areas will be added next year.
This year’s goal was to have 52% of all students meet or exceed their individual growth projections, and while students showed overall growth in Math and Reading, the final number fell just short of the goal at 50%. Math exceeded the mark (55%); Reading was below it (46%).
STAAR results have been delayed by the state, the district says they will hear a report on that test later in the summer.
Additionally, ECISD trustees approved the hire of five new principals:
- Margarita Acosta as the principal of Cameron Elementary.
- Priscilla Aguilar as the principal of Carver Early Education Center.
- Noe Ortiz as the principal of Ireland Elementary.
- Micah Arrott as the principal of Pease Elementary.
- Fallon McLane as the principal of San Jacinto Elementary.