ECTOR COUNTY, Texas (Nexstar)- The Ector County ISD school board met Tuesday to receive an update on budget preparations for the coming school year.
In previous meetings, the school board expressed that one of its priorities is raises for staff members, particularly hourly employees, according to a release.
Superintendent Dr. Scott Muri and district leadership are considering the following salary increases for the coming year:
- A 3% across-the-board raise for all salaried employees
- An increase in starting pay for teachers to $57,000 per year
- A 4% across-the-board raise for all hourly employees
- An increase in the minimum hourly wage from $11.21 per hour to $12.00 per hour
- A one-time stipend of $750 paid to all who are employed by ECISD on the first day of school in August 2021
On the topic of teacher pay, Dr. Muri pointed out that just four years ago during the 2017-2018 school year, ECISD’s starting teacher salary was $44,500.
In addition to budget considerations, the board also voted to approve the re-design plans for Noel Elementary, LBJ Elementary and Wilson & Young Middle School.
The re-design plans will be funded by a School Action Fund grant to provide “customized planning and support to improve teaching and learning experiences for students at campuses expressing an interest in change”.
The plans will provide personalized instruction with a focus on blended learning. The plans also provide for social-emotional support of the whole child – through mental health supports and after-school enrichment opportunities.